[Bf-python] Adding removed python modules for a test.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 02:32:13 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Sybren A. Stüvel <sybren at stuvel.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:01:16PM -0500, Jorge Pareja wrote:
>> I am interested in adding the removed python modules back in,
>> atleast localy on my system.  My local, default, install of Python
>> is 2.7.9 and I cant upgrade just yet, it is currently required by
>> other software I need to use.
>>
>> What is the best way to get the full Python 3.4 release with all
>> default packages, aside from installing it on my system which would
>> break my 2.7.9 version, into Blender 2.73?
>
> You can install different versions of Python next to each other,
> without breaking anything. You can have Python 2.7 in C:\Python27 and
> Python 3.4 in C:\Python34. As a matter of fact, the installers already
> do this, so you have to actively change things to mess up.
>
>> So I am assuming I will need to build something from sources which I
>> have already downloaded both Blender and Python sources.  Another
>> question is... Do I have to use Python 3.4.0 or can I use 3.4.2?

Python remains binary compatible between minor point releases (so any
module compiled for 3.4.x is ok).

A problem with ms-windows spesifically, is we have a build of Python
made with MSVC2013, and Python.org still use MSVC2008.

Im not sure of the details since I don't use ms-windows, but I've read
on our bug tracker that this means Blender can't be used with the
systems Python (typically installed on C:\Python3.4) - something that
used to work.
It also means setting the PYTHONPATH to an existing Python3.4x install
will crash Blender.

Hopefully Python.org will update their MSVC at some point to resolve the issue.

> You don't have to get the Blender sources in order to just install
> some Python packages. Just install them as normal for your system,
> then copy them into Blender's own Python directory.
>
> It probably won't matter whether you install 3.4.0 or 3.4.2, but if
> you want to be 100% sure, pick the one that's used by the version of
> Blender you're using.
>
> --
> Sybren A. Stüvel
>
> http://stuvelfoto.nl/