[Bf-python] api for adding node tree inputs and outputs?

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Tue Dec 8 00:01:20 CET 2015

I'm writing a script that (among other things) creates new shader node
groups.

A stumbling block I've encountered is adding inputs/outputs. In the UI
that can be done with operators, But I'm not even sure I can override
the context enough to use them

the node_tree inputs/outputs have a .new() function, but it always
returns None.

the actual Group Input / Group Output Nodes have .new() functions for
their inputs/outputs but the result doesn't 'stick' unless you
instantly create a link, so you pretty much are stuck creating inputs
by wiring stuff up in order, and then renaming the result. Code can get
tricky if you're trying to create a node group that has unwired
inputs/outputs, but I'm ignoring that scenario.

I wonder if I'm missing something here, or if this is indeed as hard as
it seems,
Cheers
Bassam