[Bf-python] The road to deprecation

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Mon Dec 22 16:56:04 CET 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 01:16:19PM -0500, Bassam Kurdali wrote:
> +1 for a formal way to deprecate api - this method would be good.

That's great. I'm fairly sure that with the help of a few well-placed
#defines, this shouldn't be too hard to set up.

> I think getting a warning when the api writes to frame_current could
> be a nice thing even if not deprecated, because most people actually
> want to update the frame, not just write the property.

IMO a warning would be out of place is such a case. Either there is a
good use for writing to frame_current, and there should be no warning
(at least not at runtime), or there is not a good use case for it and
it should be deprecated.

An animation importer could have a use for writing to frame_current.
Since it only imports data, it may be independent of the already
existing data, hence a full scene update is not needed. Personally, I
think this would be a good enough use case to not deprecate writing to
frame_current. I'll see if I can update the documentation to clarify
this a bit more.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

http://stuvelfoto.nl/