[Bf-python] Support listing of multiple versions of the same addon

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Wed Feb 27 15:48:12 CET 2013

On 02/27/2013 02:05 PM, CoDEmanX wrote:
> maybe rename one of the two addons and add something like this to both?

It'd complicate matters for version control, and for preparing releases
- I want to make my life easier not harder :)

Also with that, it's not simple to identify the latest version as it
could be either the release or testing version depending on which a user
last updated. It also wouldn't cover situations where a user has a
version they modified for their own use, so there could potentially be
release, development, local development (+some old version that was
frozen for their production perhaps).

Currently I use a symlink in my scripts directory and just update that
to point to the version I want to use - this wouldn't be an option for
an alternate version of a script included with Blender though. Having
support for selecting different versions of particular scripts in
Blender would streamline things both in workflow and for a consistant
way to handle things for users. Being able to install scripts from
within Blender made things so much easier for supporting multiple
platforms, and I'd hate going back to having platform specific issues to
deal with.. Though maybe that cat is out of the bag now I've mentioned I
use symlinks on my setup.. Hopefully none of my users are reading this ;)