[Bf-python] Support listing of multiple versions of the same addon

Clemens Barth barth at root-1.de
Tue Feb 26 19:40:59 CET 2013

Dear Nathan.

I think that this is a very, very good proposition!

I have some colleagues, who also work with the /Atomic Blender addons/
[1] (import/export of PDB and XYZ files).
When there is a very new version from my side and my colleagues want to
use this version, it mostly ends
up in a Team Viewer session: I manually replace the Python files in the
main Blender directory via
overwriting the old version - work done in a shell, which my colleagues
cannot do due to a lack of shell
knowledge. All this is quite time consuming ... .
Note that an existing addon (from trunc and I think also from contrib)
cannot be replaced by manually installing
the same addon via the preferences (we tried a couple of times without
any success).

So, if Blender allows installing one and the same addon several times
and shows all different versions it would
help a lot: the user can then use the preferences and manually install a
new version of the addon himself. After,
he decides, which version he wants to use (only one version).

Regards,

Clemens.

[1] Atomic Blender:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/PDB