[Bf-python] Contrib Addon Review: add_mesh_building_objects

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:55:52 CET 2012

Hi Brendon & Addon Authors,

To me these addons seem more like a parametric-model-library, then a
general addons.

Since blender doesn't support parametric objects I can see why
developers wrote these, but Im also not convinced this
is a good reason to add all of them into trunk.

As examples of what you can do with addons these are quite
interesting, but even if you were using blender
to model buildings, I think only 1 or 2 of these would end up being useful.

A small negative for including these addons at all is that I dont
think you could use them together to make a
building with any kind of consistancy - you would end up with a
castle-wall, mixed with a minimalist window, some beams, a balcony +
some nicely
detailed stairs.

To authors, hope you guys don't take offense to my review, if some
users are successfully including these tools in their workflow id like
to know about it & see results.

####################
Functionality Review
####################

Beam builder
------------

The shapes are so primitive that you wouldnt save a lot of time by
using this addon.

If you happen to be needing to make shapes like this a _lot_, likely
you already have a small library of shapes you'll
re-use, adjusting the length, taper etc on existing models is also trivial.

There is still some use for these kinds of addons but I think its so
specific that such addons can stay 3rd party/contrib.

(IMHO, don't promote to trunk)

Balcony
-------

Again, this is adds a really specific model + materials, which I don't
think are generally useful.
If - for example - you had a library of balconies, most of these could
be added and heights adjusted - in a few seconds.

If you're an artist making a building, probably you have some ideas of
your own how to add a balcony, which isn't really
such a complicated shape,

Even so, I think this has more merit then the beam builder.

note: dimensions as integers here isn't good IMHO.

(IMHO, don't promote to trunk)

Solve (Window Frame)
--------------------

Seems a bit limited, adds a single kind of window frame, which is OK,
as far as that goes - but if I were using
a tool like this I'd want it to have support for a few different kinds
of windows (Maybe 6+ main categories).

The current window types are quite simple and take <1min (rough
guess). to model.

(IMHO, don't promote to trunk)

... but If this were a more general window-frame generator, Id consider it.

Wall Factory
------------

This addon is pretty neat, unlike most others in this category - it
could save quite a bit of time compared to making
such a model by hand.

But its also quite limited, maybe it should be called `Castle Wall` factory.

Im tempted to include this for novelty value, its fun!

But I think you either want a lot more detaul, or a lot less.
If you made an entire castle - this is way too much detail... and if
you make a single/section of a castle for a close up render, the
bricks are obviously cubes.
So Im scratching my head to find a use-case.

Also, even if this was the exact level of detail for some project -
you would want more control then this addon gives you.

- The ability to place windows. have the wall follow a path. - have
the stairs lead somewhere useful...

So its cool but the functionality included seems a bit haphazard - the
developer included some interesting stuff,
but probably didnt model even a small section of a castle using it
(maybe Im wrong here).

(IMHO, don't promote to trunk)

Stair Builder
-------------

This addon creates fairly detailed models that would for sure save
some time - compared to making manually.
It also includes enough styles to be generally useful IMHO.

So, on functionality level I'd accept this, but noticed some oddities.

- Added objects are not selected (add object operators should select
all newly added objects).
- This adds many objects, not just a single object, this could be
annoying for users,
perhaps add option to give single parent? Also, since this adds many
matching objects it could use linked duplicates
(every step is the same for eg).
- Spiral staircase does not support hand-rail options - best disable
these or add support.

Would promote this to trunk if these issues are resolved.

- Campbell