[Bf-python] contrib addons & candidates for release

Brendon Murphy meta.androcto1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 02:15:20 CEST 2012

hi,
 Before I get to the contrib addons list for release consideration, I would
like to mention that it would not be hard to trim the lesser addons from
contrib & enable contrib for release.
Most users know of contrib addons & have trouble to install them in
official builds. Users are & can be made aware or reminded that contrib
addons are 'experimental' as they already are with the "Testing" button to
view contrib addons in the addons menu/s.
Not all contrib addons are suitable for release & i have been working hard
towards cleaning up contrib & preparing many addons for release.
This can be seen in the "Tools" where I group similar addons with the goal
of easing the amount of small similar function addons into menu's. This
works well in reducing the volume of addons & eases the menu bloat & helps
users save time.

Addons proposed to move from contrib to release.

add_mesh_building_objects
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/add_mesh_building_objects/
Maintainers: brikbot, meta-androcto
contrib.
Known issues: needs code tips translated, may not use latest function calls

btrace
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/btrace/__init__.py
Maintainers: Crazycourier, Liero
Known issues: has been code reviewed & may not use the best
methods/function calls

mesh_select_tools
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/mesh_select_tools/
Maintainers: meta-androcto, codemanx
contrib.
Known issues: does not use latest function calls.

object_mangle tools
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/object_mangle_tools.py
Maintainer: Phil Cote
Known issues: does not use latest function calls.

object_edit_linked
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/object_edit_linked.py
Maintainer: Fweeb
Known Issues: None

system_project_folder
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/system_project_folder.py
Maintainer: Dany Lebel
Known issues: none

ui_layer_manager
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/ui_layer_manager.py
Maintainer: Alfonso Annarumma:
Known issues: none

Addons worth considering:
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/io_mesh_xyz/
by blendphys

https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/uv_bake_texture_to_vcols.py
by Patrick Boelens, CoDEmanX

please note:
I have also been working on several toolkits, merging lesser scripts &
grouping similar tools, Release & Contrib can use more improvement, as
toolskits/merges get done more proposed addons will follow :)

I would ask that Code reviewers take into account that these addons work &
are stable for many months, whilst the code & methods may not be perfect,
it can be improved during review or improved as issues arise.
There are possibly minor easy to fix issues such as wiki pages to do that
I'm quite happy to fix if needed.

Also Blender Developers & Addon Developers are very welcome to help &
propose addons fro release or merge. Please if you see addons that fall
withing your area of Blender, such as animation or sequencer or uv modules,
feel free to contact the author & make suggestions on how they should
proceed towards release.

Thanks.
Brendon Murphy (meta-androcto)
Blender Extensions Addons team