[Bf-python] Interfacing Blender with IPython

klo uo klonuo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:56:08 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Toni Alatalo wrote:

> I think Brett misunderstood the I* to refer to IronPython, not IPython as in InteractivePython.
>
> IronPython is a .NET Python impl, written in C# and using the .NET libraries (to reimplement the py stdlib etc., makes the py stdlib api basically a .net wrapper), and Mono is a .NET implementation -- hence the suggestion to use libmono to be able to run .net code (and hence ipython) in Blender.

Ah yea, probably it's like that as I assumed IPython is known term.
I couldn't make sense of mono on Ubuntu and IPython, although IPython
can also run in .NET environments as with "Python tools for Visual
Studio" (with IronPython and at least Visual Studio 2010)

> BTW: great to hear about the proceedings with IPython and Blender - I've sometimes looked into it a bit too and remained curious, have basically always liked (and also been a bit involved with) IPython, and the new notebook things there with the interactive code-generated graphics creation seem really cool and very interesting with Blender in mind too -- you could write Blender docs that explain material params or whatever, even for just GUI users, and have the pics autorendered with Blender, results being embedded in the doc (the ipython notebook) .. which is at the same time a py shell :o -- a screenshot with some science/math style example graphics plots is at http://ia600804.us.archive.org/4/items/IPythonNotebookScreenshot/Screen%20shot%202012-02-02%20at%203.47.07%20PM.png and screencasts etc via http://ipython.org/)

I think same. Reusable cells concept is great new way of dealing with
ideas. And it should be possible with similar procedure, as one
suggested by Owen, to be able to run Blender in IPython Notebook and
get rendered result inline. But making Blender GUI available at the
same time is my main priority, without browser with just IPython
terminal console, so I (or anyone else) could interact in the process,
through Blender GUI tools.
Anyhow if I can't make it work, as I'm not Python magician, I'll focus
on Notebook and let you know if I make useful result

Cheers