[Bf-python] Interfacing Blender with IPython

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Thu Jun 28 07:58:11 CEST 2012

On Jun 28, 2012, at 8:02 AM, klo uo wrote:
> thanks for your reply, but sorry to say, I don't understand your suggestion

I think Brett misunderstood the I* to refer to IronPython, not IPython as in InteractivePython.

IronPython is a .NET Python impl, written in C# and using the .NET libraries (to reimplement the py stdlib etc., makes the py stdlib api basically a .net wrapper), and Mono is a .NET implementation -- hence the suggestion to use libmono to be able to run .net code (and hence ipython) in Blender.

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:27 AM, HartsAntler wrote:
>> you could load libmono directly and use ctypes to call into it.
>> http://code.google.com/p/rpythonic/source/browse/examples/libmono/__init__.py

~Toni

BTW: great to hear about the proceedings with IPython and Blender - I've sometimes looked into it a bit too and remained curious, have basically always liked (and also been a bit involved with) IPython, and the new notebook things there with the interactive code-generated graphics creation seem really cool and very interesting with Blender in mind too -- you could write Blender docs that explain material params or whatever, even for just GUI users, and have the pics autorendered with Blender, results being embedded in the doc (the ipython notebook) .. which is at the same time a py shell :o -- a screenshot with some science/math style example graphics plots is at http://ia600804.us.archive.org/4/items/IPythonNotebookScreenshot/Screen%20shot%202012-02-02%20at%203.47.07%20PM.png and screencasts etc via http://ipython.org/)