[Bf-python] thesis project

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:30:48 CEST 2012

This is fairly straightforward in blender, suggest you start this off
the most simple way.

* pick a base mesh (make human, poser, whatever...)

* add some vertex groups, shape keys - whatever you need for deformations.

* make a python script that starts blender, reads input renders and quits.
... later you may want to do something more involved like the socket
server mentioned before but first Id suggest a single run.

Theres a template available with blender in the text editor called
"Background Job" - this shows how to pass command line arguments to a
python script setup a scene, render and exit.

This script can be extended to load in models and add many arguments
which effect the model.

Once this is working I think you'll have the basics but it may be
enough for your project - adding inputs as needed for greater control.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Ron Wheeler
<rwheeler at artifact-software.com> wrote:
> I would think that this might be easier with DAZ or Poser as an intermediate
> step.
>
> Ron
>
> On 19/07/2012 6:49 PM, Maltzan, Christopher wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been using blender for a long time and I am currently working on a
> senior thesis project. It's a fairly large project dealing with automated
> avatar creation for use by sketch artists, video games (and mostly)
> psychology experiments. The driving idea behind the project is to use a
> genetic algorithm to allow a user to create a realistic avatar from a new
> point of view. Instead of dragging a sliding bar to change specific
> features, the user will be able to pick from a group of avatars the "most
> liked" avatars and then future generations of avatars will contain avatars
> similar to previously chosen avatars.
>
> I am writing to you now to ask specifically about advice or comments on on
> connecting my software (genetic algorithm and GUI) to blender which would
> then make relatively simple changes to a base model and then send renders
> back to my software. In my mind, the hardest part is teaching blender to
> make changes to the avatar. Do you have any advice for where I can start?
>
> My idea was that I would make a plugin which could select pre-determined
> vertices and move them on the xyz grid to specific pre-programmed
> coordinates or select a group of vertices and then scale them to be slightly
> larger (to make an avatar have the trait of thick arms for example).
> Obviously an over-simplification, but you get the idea. I will of course
> make the software open to the community :)
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Chris

> --
> Ron Wheeler