[Bf-python] thesis project

Maltzan, Christopher maltzanc at garnet.union.edu
Fri Jul 20 00:49:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've been using blender for a long time and I am currently working on a
senior thesis project. It's a fairly large project dealing with automated
avatar creation for use by sketch artists, video games (and mostly)
psychology experiments. The driving idea behind the project is to use a
genetic algorithm to allow a user to create a realistic avatar from a new
point of view. Instead of dragging a sliding bar to change specific
features, the user will be able to pick from a group of avatars the "most
liked" avatars and then future generations of avatars will contain avatars
similar to previously chosen avatars.

I am writing to you now to ask specifically about advice or comments on on
connecting my software (genetic algorithm and GUI) to blender which would
then make relatively simple changes to a base model and then send renders
back to my software. In my mind, the hardest part is teaching blender to
make changes to the avatar. Do you have any advice for where I can start?

My idea was that I would make a plugin which could select pre-determined
vertices and move them on the xyz grid to specific pre-programmed
coordinates or select a group of vertices and then scale them to be
slightly larger (to make an avatar have the trait of thick arms for
example). Obviously an over-simplification, but you get the idea. I will of
course make the software open to the community :)

Thank you for your help!

Chris