[Bf-python] depth map with inverted z-buffer

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Sun Aug 12 20:59:47 CEST 2012

Dear Dalai,

Many thanks for Your reply.
On 07/08/12 13:19:06, Dalai Felinto wrote:
> The depth in the z‐buffer represents the distance of the pixels to the
> camera. If you need to ’invert’ it, you need to know the maximum depth you
> have in the scene and do:
> newdepth = maxdepth ‐ depth (easy to do with a few Convertor‐>Math nodes)

There  is  this option "Z invert" in the rendering options for an object which
is close to what I’m looking for. It shows the back side of  an  object  in  a
depth  map,  but  it  does  not cause things insided the object to be maped as
well. The enclosing object just seems empty.
So I tried with a texture that makes the face side opposite of the face normal
be  transparent  and the other side opaque. This however I only got to work in
blender 2.49 because the option "no V.normal Flip" was removed in 2.5x and  no
replacement  seems  to exist. What ever I tried in 2.63 the z‐component of the
normals towards the camera always seemes to be positive. Is there  no  way  in
2.63  to  create  a  texture  that  is  transparent  depending  on  the normal
orientation towards the camera?

> By the way, this is more of a Blender question than a Python one. As such
> it may be better fit in a forum such as BlenderArtists.org

Yes, I agree and I’ll try there as well. My reason to post  here  was  that  I
find  it  much  easier  to  find  an option from 2.49 in newer versions in the
python API than in the new GUI  and  finnaly  my  plan  was  to  automate  the
creation of depth maps for SIRDS creation with stereograph.

Many thanks for Your reply.
Lynx