[Bf-python] a direct x importer addon for 2.6x

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:52:13 CET 2011

Hi Jerome, good to see quick progress, for getting this ready for blender.

regarding the namespace issue, consider that someone might have d
DirectX files both having the same material name (but each material
being completely different & referencing different images).

If you want to export these into the same blend file the first import
will work fine.

>>> bpy.data.materials.new(name="MyMat")
bpy.data.materials['MyMat']

later this works ok
>>> mat = bpy.data.materials['MyMat']

On the second import however, this happens...
>>> bpy.data.materials.new(name="MyMat")
bpy.data.materials['MyMat.001']

later on when getting the material, it will get the one from the
initial import, which is a bug since they may have nothing else in
common then the name.
>>> mat = bpy.data.materials['MyMat']

So bottom line - use bpy.data.*.new but never use it to get data back
during import.
You can have a dictionary which stores an (orig_name: data) mapping
for each import, this way you dont care if there are collisions and
you dont care if the name happens to be already used.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM, jerome <jerome.le.chat at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is an update :
> https://github.com/littleneo/directX_blender
> (last mods are in the readme)
>
> Hi Campbell,
> thanks for your feedback :)
> I modified the addon according to your requests and added a parenting
> and a naming methods features, please let me know what you think.
> I didn't get it about the namespaces issues between dx and bpy.. where
> is there a mix ?
>
> Jerome
>

> Le 21/11/2011 08:04, Campbell Barton a écrit :
>> Hi jerome, good work with the script!
>>
>> I've left a review on google code review for git # eb6deca3cb
>>
>> --- Basically once the DirectX<vs>Blender namespace issues are
>> addressed, +1 for adding the script into blender, see codereview for
>> details.
>>
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/5416057/
>>
>> - Campbell
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:57 PM, jerome<jerome.le.chat at free.fr>  wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I published an addon to import stuff from direct .x files :
>>>
>>> blender projects :
>>> http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29291&group_id=153&atid=467
>>>
>>> community feedback :
>>> http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?236401-a-directX-importer
>>>
>>> project page :
>>> https://github.com/littleneo/directX_blender
>>>
>>> bugtracker for now :
>>> https://github.com/littleneo/directX_blender/issues
>>>
>>> there's no support yet for armatures but this is on the way. (weight groups step)
>>>
>>> thanks for your feedback, please note the code is not very clean, as I'm still adding features, but I think it's reliable enough to be reviewed by you. thanks to send me .x files that would cause a bug :)
>>>
>>> Jerome

- Campbell