[Bf-python] multi ray cast proposal

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 22:53:00 CET 2011

Hi dima,

Well, the good news is that bullet does already have mutli-ray casting.
It's just a matter of exposing the calls.  It also has callback functions
for the raycast (pre and post) but that might be more tricky exposing.

I'm not sure about the division between BGE and modeling as far as exposure
goes.  I'll have to ask around.

kesten

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Dima Glibitsky <dima.glib at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kesten,
> thanks for the initiative and very sorry for the late answer 0:-)
>
> I am planning to use raycasting to scanfill meshes / to determine how
> volumes defined by mesh surface are related to each other (I want to
> prototype some geometric algorithms). Stepping forward is undesirable,
> since it can lead to wrong results in specific cases (e.g. when
> overlapping faces lie in the same plane -- proper method will return
> two or more intersections, but stepping will return only one).
>
> I have taken a look at Blender's source. When not in GameEngine mode,
> Blender uses its own BVH structure to do raycasting and nearest point
> determination. It would be nice to have same set of features available
> both to modeling scripts and game engine scripts, though I'm currently
> working only with the modeling stage.
>
> Bullet has a good range of proximity/intersection queries (e.g.
> contact tests, sweep tests, etc.), so raycasting a cylinder of some
> radius should be already possible in GameEngine. I had no experience
> with BGE, however, so I'm just guessing =)
> BTW, is it possible to make Bullet methods available to non-BGE
> scripts (e.g. as a collision detection library)?
>
> Earlier you suggested to write a request at
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Requests. That can be a good
> starting point, but I'm somewhat unsure under which category to put it
> -- the topic comprises GameEngine as well as non-GE, at both C level
> and Python API level.
>
> As for writing test scripts, I can try my hand at this after December
> (though I can't predict how much time it will take U_U).
>
> Hope I'll be able to help you somehow ^_^ Happy Christmas/New Year!
>
> Dima

Kesten Broughton
President and Technology Director,
Solar Mobile Trailers