[Bf-python] libblender (blender inside Python or RPython)

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Thu Sep 23 14:01:18 CEST 2010

On to, 2010-09-23 at 19:41 +0800, Goat Man wrote:
>  Blender is a large and ever growing program, so where i think RPython
> would be ideal is in gluing all these C components together from the
> top down (from the mainloop downwards).  In this new model the

making blender.py to be the executable has always been a kind of a half
serious evil secret plan the py folks around blender have had, codenamed
blender 3.0 etc :)

.. rpython certainly brings an interesting twist, and libblender can
easily be useful for many things .. we are for example using blender as
a server side thing to generate meshes in one app. now just use blender
subprocess to run it in a new process, but using as a lib would of
course be much more straightforward and give better control. that's why
i also started testing making libblender back then long ago.

>  structure of Blender changes from: C on top with Python underneath,
> to: RPython on top, C in the middle, Python on the bottom.  In the
> long term there could be big speed gains by using RPython and its
> integrated JIT generator, because Blender deals with a lot of runtime
> data and some of this could be constant folded by a JIT.

right. thanks for the heads-up and keep us posted!

~Toni