[Bf-python] Point clouds

Kris Nackaerts knackaerts at gmx.net
Thu Mar 25 15:28:54 CET 2010

Thank's,

interesting to know that 50000 points is relatively significant, I didn't thaught about that. point clouds can easily have millions of points.

I'll check the dupliverts, thank's.

Kris

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:29:42 +0200
> Von: Toni Alatalo <antont at kyperjokki.fi>
> An: Blender Foundation Python list <bf-python at blender.org>
> Betreff: Re: [Bf-python] Point clouds

> Kris Nackaerts kirjoitti:
> > I'm trying to read point cloud data (X Y Z R G B). As vertices it works
> great, but whar can I do with vertices with respect to visualisation? I've
> no experience with particles yet, coud this help and define vertices as
> particles?
> >

> Particles might be an option - another is dupliverts, which is about
> having an object (e.g. a pyramid mesh) show in the location of each
> vertex of a mesh:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modeling/Objects/Duplication/DupliVerts
> . Dupliverts is much more efficient for the scene handling (is just one
> object) and for drawing too (at least it could be, and i hope it is
> somewhat in reality of the current code now too .. dunno if it has been
> optimized to VBOs or anything like that yet).
>
> > One file contains 5000 locations and runs fine, when starting file 2,
> the system begins to slow down dramatically. In total I have 50000 points,
> reading them as vertices is really quick, no problem.
> >

> 50k objects in a scene is a lot for Blender currently, it is not really
> optimized for that (could perhaps be improved, dunno if have been looked
> at recently).
>
> ~Toni

GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment für nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02