[Bf-python] Point clouds

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Mar 24 22:29:42 CET 2010

Kris Nackaerts kirjoitti:
> I'm trying to read point cloud data (X Y Z R G B). As vertices it works great, but whar can I do with vertices with respect to visualisation? I've no experience with particles yet, coud this help and define vertices as particles?

Particles might be an option - another is dupliverts, which is about
having an object (e.g. a pyramid mesh) show in the location of each
vertex of a mesh:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modeling/Objects/Duplication/DupliVerts
. Dupliverts is much more efficient for the scene handling (is just one
object) and for drawing too (at least it could be, and i hope it is
somewhat in reality of the current code now too .. dunno if it has been
optimized to VBOs or anything like that yet).

> One file contains 5000 locations and runs fine, when starting file 2, the system begins to slow down dramatically. In total I have 50000 points, reading them as vertices is really quick, no problem.

50k objects in a scene is a lot for Blender currently, it is not really
optimized for that (could perhaps be improved, dunno if have been looked
at recently).

~Toni