[Bf-python] A question about the current and future capabilities Python scripting in Blender

Karl dragonath at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 17:29:37 CET 2010

Hello!

First and foremost, as I just joined this mailing list I have little
knowledge if my question has been already answered in some point of time or
not. Something in this vein was discussed here in 2008:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-python/2008-January/005123.html .

I am a graduate student in computer science, currently working on a project
that utilises Blender and Python in order to programmatically create what
are basically Blender games. For the last two months I have studied both the
Blender Python API and the Game Engine API, and found to my disappointment
that while it is possible to create objects from the bottom up, there is no
way to create new sensors, controllers or actuators. I realize that there is
a chance I might have missed some important documentation or tutorial, so if
this is the case, feel free to correct me.

Now to my question: are there any plans to create functions/modules in the
Blender Python API to allow the creation of logic bricks (i.e. sensors,
controllers, actuators)?

>From the discussion I referred to above, the an argument against this change
was that there was no use for this functionality. I would argue against
this, as with this capability it is possible to create fully working games
by writing a Python script to be interpreted by Blender. Furthermore, if
what I understand about the Blender Python API is correct, then it should
also easily be possible to create a scene using Blender and then
programmatically add the necessary logic bricks with a Python script. This
does away with the connect-the-dots approach that - while clever - makes it
difficult to do more complex programming.

Again, I am sorry if this topic has been covered somewhere: while the
internet is full of Blender tutorials, they have mostly to do with the
artistic aspect and it seems to be difficult to find information about
topics such as this.

All the best,
Karl Potisepp