[Bf-python] Remote IPython & PyCrust Shell for Blender

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Wed Mar 26 07:14:56 CET 2008

Hi Willian,

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:07 -0300, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:
> Didn't read Dietrich's patch, but I checked the discussion on the patch
> tracker and the official page. Indeed looks like an interesting
> candidate, but I agree with others about the need to have a clean patch,
> specially if a branch is used for further developments.
>
> http://formgames.org/blender/command-port/
> http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6887&group_id=9&atid=127

Could you detail what you mean by a "clean patch" ?

Is it possible to create a subversion branch in the blender repository
where I could move the patch to?

I (and other interested people) could manipulate its current state in
small steps until it meets your ideas of a "clean patch".  Of course I
would have to know first what exactly a "clean patch" is :)

We could process step by step, for example:

  - remove your option parsing code and switch to GNU getopt or whatever
  - remove that debugging option and make it a different one like...
  - rename your isdigit function to parsedigit or ...
  - use another protocol like...

When finally it looks ok to the blender team it could be merged into the
blender trunk or, if it is decided to not use it at all, it could remain
a blender branch forever. If this is not appreciated either I could
also move it to some other place where it doesn't disturb anybody.

Development and the communication about necessary changes and features
become much easier if it is possible to browse different versions of the
sources in a repository and not as a bunch of huge patches.  Also it
would be possible to process in small changes which could be reversed if
not appreciated.

> Anyway, the main issue now (as usual) is the upcoming events refactor in
> Blender. It would be wiser to wait a little more before coding anything
> non trivial, because things will change considerably and we have chance
> to come up with better / cleaner ways to interface with Blender data.

I agree!  - another reason to make it a svn branch :)

> For now I suggest you guys directly interested in scripting Blender via
> external apps to create a basic plan, detailing what you need to have,
> preferred methods (sockets, simple signals, etc.). A page in our bpython
> dev section in the wiki would be ideal for this, but as a start one of
> you could write something here and the others could add to it, then we
> put the results in the wiki.

Very good idea :)

Thanks, Dietrich