[Bf-python] Remote IPython & PyCrust Shell for Blender

Stani spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:39:13 CET 2008

Theo de Ridder schreef:
> Indeed, we talked about this 2 years ago.
> At that time I have tried all sorts of tricks in my blendit(tor)
> with faking and mapping timer events on other events.

I've been through the same jungle with SPE.
> Finally it is not threads (I don't like them) but the right set
> of asynchronous event handlers which are now far too
> primitive in Blender.

I am quite conservative in using threads, but in this case I do think it
would be good. Moreover it would open other possibilities besides
asynchronous socket usage.
> For the moment there is another quite clean approach:
> let Blender run in a looping frame animation,
> and use the framechange as a timer;
> during such a loop you can just do all the editing
> in Blender with real time visual feedbacks,
> its not hard real time but
> good and asynchronous enough for a lot of
> asynchronous socket usage.

Yes, I've tested that too, but of course this means that the blender
drawing doesn't contain keyframes or a frame animation with which you
want to interact. That is why I finally chose for the redraw hack which
works fine within one frame.

Anyway these are hacks. A proper solution would be nice.
Stani