[Bf-python] Access of logic bricks via python API

Matthieu Delanoë matthieu.delanoe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:41:30 CET 2008

Hi!

Well this is my first post on a Blender-dev mailing list, so I guess I
should introduce myself: I'm Matthieu Delanoë, junior engineer at a
french company (EDF), and I'm studying the possible use of Blender as
a simulation and virtual reality tool.

Since last week I've been working on the access of logic bricks in
Python. I'm totally new to the development of Blender, but as far as I
know nobody was currently working on this integration (I just found
ashsid's blendGame plugin).
I made it based upon Modifiers and Constraints modules, since the
structures seemed quite the same, and upon blendGame too (I've got 3
new modules : Actuator, Sensor and Controller).
I've almost finished it (I just need to add a few dictionaries,
documentation and a blend file for testing), and I will soon submit a
patch. But before that I've got a few questions, about the Python API
development, for which I couldn't find the answers. I've seen that
there has been an attempt a few weeks ago to merge 2.4x API to the
trunk, and as far as I know this API will not be compatible with the
old one (I may be wrong).

If applied to the trunk, will new patches like mine be overwritten
when the final merge will occur?

Do I have to make it compatible with 2.4x right now? (by the way, is
the date of this final merge already known? Even approximately)

>From my tiny description above, do you think this is the right way of
adding this access to the API, or is there a better way for doing
this?

Should I post my patch directly in the patch tracker or should I post
it here first for testing?

Thank you for your time,
--
Matt