[Bf-python] improvements to HotKeys Reference Help script

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 03:35:49 CET 2008

Tom,

--- Tom M <letterrip at gmail.com> wrote:

> strictly speaking I think JMS might be correct that
> migius isn't
> following the GPL as regards to changelogs, (The GPL
> is somewhat
> ambiguos on how significant refactors are handled
> via changelogs, or
> how changelogs for svn commits for a centrally
> hosted project need to
> be done... ie do svn commit logs meet the terms of
> the GPL?).

As far as I understand, the only requirement of the
GPL on that side is that the source must retain the
original copyright notice and include notice of the
new changes.

2.
a)  You must cause the modified files to carry
prominent notices stating that you changed the files
and the date of any change.

Change logs are thus not strictly required apart from
the author and date. Not sure how that works with SVN,
as you said, but for scripts, a majority of them have
changelogs and attributions in the header so we're
safer on that side I'd say.

In this case, as far as I understand, Mignius is using
the data side of JMS script (the list of hotkey and
their definitions) amd rewrote/changed significantly
the front end. Separating the data from the display
code is a good idea in this case too, it's easier to
update for layman and probably better for
internationalization (without even a proper system,
people could drop in a replacement easily for their
language).

Proper copyrights notice and attribution should indeed
be kept and I think everyone agrees on that.

> JMS does seem to react more strongly to
> unintentional errors and
> slights than I think should be done, but I think he
> might have basis
> as to the technical nature of the complaint.

Yeah, it looks like his copyright notice was removed.
At the very least, it should be in the data file
(since this is the derived work). In fact, the data
file doesn't carry any license notice at the moment.

It's missing Bart's copyright notice too (line 47 of
the svn version).

Although, if I can go on a tangent here, I don't think
Jean-Michel was arguing against the legality of the
changes (though, as stated, there are points that
could be argued on) but rather against any changes not
"blessed" by himself first.

And since he specifically stated that he wouldn't
cooperate, I don't see why we should refrain from
giving users access to a version with better usability
(giving proper application of the GPL, of course).

I'm not specifically trying to be confrontational
here, but outwardly rejecting any enhancement is
certainly not putting the users' best interest up
front I think.

Hopefully he'll reconsider, in everyone's best
interest.

Martin