[Bf-python] improvements to HotKeys Reference Help script

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 00:47:13 CET 2008

Hi,

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29949

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113588
> You will find there a link to the full functional
> version 1.08.
> I am still waiting for feedback, so look at it and
> report please.
> In compare to the old version the main improvements
> are:
> - text wraping and scrolling
> - menu scrolling, tooltips
> - bilingual in-line-switch (english<->foreign)
> practical for learning
> English UI
> - support for multilingual textfiles.
> - direct access to the help/doc text

Really nice. Good scrolling support and text wrap will
boost the usability ten fold.

> I hope this functionality (UI+language support) will
> become a part of
> HotKeys Reference.
> I talk about it with JMS last week, but there is no
> willing to collaborate
> at the moment. (see the first link)

If you send a patch or an updated version here, we'd
be more than willing to consider it for inclusion.

Of course, consider that if you do this, JMS will
probably throw a fit so be prepared. As stivs hinted,
this happened back last summer too, it's just a matter
of letting the storm pass.

> Any suggestion for?
> Where is the best place for localized script texts
> (not only HotKeysHelp):
> one multilanguage file or many individual files;
> hosted in
> .blender/scripts(/bpymodules) or in blender/.locale

A single multilingual file might be enough for most
scripts. Many files are useful when there's a lot of
text to translate and maintaining a single file is
cumbersome, but I don't think that's the case here.

Using dicts, one per locale in a single file would be
ok, IMHO.

As for the location, /scripts would be better (it'd be
easier for users to instal their own script this way,
one single directory to worry about).

Martin