[Bf-python] Py Drivers - Possible feature enhancement.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 14:47:35 CET 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 4:14 PM, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > @Martin, The problem is that even simple operations
> > become very long
> > winded when you type them into drivers, because the
> > syntax is so
> > verbose to reference the data you want to operate
> > on, before any
> > python code happens.
> > The alternative is to have a pydriver.py that has
> > some nice function
> > to do the lookup, like obBone('obnane', 'bonename')
> > but that means
> > everyone who wants to do a simple operation with 2
> > bones for instance,
> > needs to go away and come up with their own set of
> > macro's for
> > functions that blender could probably make easier.
>
> Or, we could have a BpyDriver.py file in bpymodules
> that autoimported in pydrivers.
>

> For anything complex, I really think it should be
> moved to an external file. There's a limit to
> expressions that we really shouldn't be stretching.
>
> Martin

It seems we disagree on what a complex operation is :)

IMHO - referencing an object or bone should be a simple operation, since its
already simple in the user interface, and a very common thing to do.
Cessen has requested this kind of functionality more then once, often he
wants bones to drive somthing and the difference in rotation/scale/location
are not in themselves that complex once you have both posebones.

anyone else have an opinnie?