[Bf-python] Ubiquitous "Compiled with Python version" message

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Tue May 8 20:34:42 CEST 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:28:46AM -0700, Ken Hughes wrote:
> Now that we're linking python statically everywhere (I think),

I thought we were building dynamically.  Didn't you say you
had problems with a static build not being compatible between
distros?

> the
> version message gives the wrong info, seems to me.  It prints out the
> version info in the shared lib, which may be a different micro version
> than the micro version Blender was compiled against. I think for the
> 2.42 release we saw some problems between the micro versions (Debian
> Sarge used 2.4.1, while Ubuntu and others used 2.4.3),
>
> Should we just print out the version numbers based on the PY_VERSION
> strings found at compile-time instead of using Py_GetVersion()?  Or
> compare to see if the compiled and shared differ?

I'm confused by this (no surprise there, eh?).

Py_GetVersion() prints out PY_VERSION from the py source as the
version number.

note:  #define in patchlevel.h

--
Stephen Swaney