[Bf-python] Python 2.5 or 2.5.1c1

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Wed May 2 03:06:56 CEST 2007

Spent most of the day working on building a linux 64-bit release in
chroot, using Debian Etch as the base.  Play whack-a-mole with shared
and static libraries trying to get my compile as close as possible to
the 2.42 i386 shared lib dependencies.  This includes using the
"-Xlinker" and "-export-dynamic" linker options.

At the end, discovered my binary doesn't work right under 64-bit Feisty.
  Get a error on a script which does "import math":

ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/math.so: undefined symbol:
PyFPE_jbuf

Running the same binary on either OS reports "Compiled with Python
version 2.5."

Recompile to use dynamic libraries and sure enough, the error goes away.
  Feisty now reports "Compiled with Python version 2.5.1c1." when it was
not.

Executing the Py2.5 interpreter on each verifies that Feisty is using
2.5.1c1 while Etch is using 2.5.

*sigh*

Ken