[Bf-python] GPL issues

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Thu Feb 15 16:41:48 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 01:38:30PM +0100, jean-michel soler wrote:
> Not enough . You forget this part :
> """
> Also, for each author's protection and ours, we want to make certain
> that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free
> software. If the software is modified by someone else and passed on, we
> want its recipients to know that what they have is not the original, so
> that any problems introduced by others will not reflect on the original
> authors' reputations.
> """
> the text must  clearly indicate that it is not the original script but a
> modified copy (in this  case
> without valid reason)  and  where the orignal script can be found.

Included below is the entire license block for the script in question.
It contains an email address to contact the author, a disclaimer
of warranty and a notice that this script has been modified.

> and  where the orignal script can be found.

This requirement does not appear in the GPL
(at least I can't find it. feel free to quote the text)

However, adding a web address where the original version may be obtained
is easily done.  Perhaps you would like to provide one?

Release of 2.43 is just around the corner.  If we cannot come to
some mutually satisfying resolution of this matter in the next day
or so when the release packages are built, I suggest dropping the
script for this version or until everyone is happy.

Entire license block:

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ***** BEGIN GPL LICENSE BLOCK *****
#
# Copyright (C) 2006-2007: jm soler, jmsoler_at_free.fr
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,

# This script has been modified on Feb 15, 2007 by the Blender Foundation
# changes include text in the user interface and text output.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net