[Bf-python] 3D curve formats

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Apr 12 14:53:48 CEST 2007

Hi,

Today I knocked up a quick exporter to get 3D bezier curves from
Blender into 3DS Max. It's pretty simple, and works by generating a
MaxScript that re-generates the curve points when run inside of Max.

It worked for me today, so I'm happy (thanks for the clear examples
on the curve API pages!) but I was thinking before I spend too much
time extending it, that it might be more widely useful to actually
make it export to an intermediary format, or extend another exporter
to support curves. I don't know much about 3d file formats that
support bezier curve data though, so maybe I thought someone here
could help me with some info.

 From what I can tell, Collada is supposed to support curves, and the
Max Collada plugin I'm using says it supports them. I looked at the
collada scripts packaged in Blender and my head nearly exploded so I
don't think I'll be using that. How about FBX? Campbell, do you know
if curves are in the spec, and/or where I can actually find it? Any
others (DXF?)

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net