[Bf-python] removing python based image baking scripts

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Nov 21 00:52:43 CET 2006

On 21/11/2006, at 06:26 AM, PERIN Jean-Baptiste wrote:

> sorry .. just an easy stupid pun that came to me .. to calm things
> down .

Honestly, how old are you? Childishly insulting someone with made-up
nonsense is not the way to 'calm things down'.

As Martin said, the decision to add or remove scripts is not up to
one person, and should be considered as a decision for the benefit of
the Blender project collectively, not for the egos of coders.
Regardless of what you may think about Campbell, he's doing the right
thing by raising the issue up for public discussion, and it's a good
thing he is too.

I'm not familiar with the exact details of what all those baking
scripts do and how they work, but there is a lot of them, and they
are soon to be duplicate functionality if not already. Generally, the
reason scripts are bundled in with Blender is if they provide
something new or specific to extend Blender, that it doesn't already do.

It's obvious that it's better to maintain this sort of thing as a
first class tool built-in and written in C, integrated by Ton as part
of the render pipeline, so removing *all* scripts that duplicate this
will streamline blender, simplify the crowded menus and make the user
experience better.

Of course the idea isn't to delete the scripts off the entire
internet so they they disappear for ever. Of course the authors can
still keep maintaining those scripts themselves, like most other
scripts out there. But when we're talking about what is bundled by
default, a bundled script is treated like any other piece of C code
in the project. It's there for the common good, and if it's replaced
by something better, then it gets removed from distribution.

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net