[Bf-python] object's local matrix

Gilbert, Joseph T. jgilbert at tigr.ORG
Tue Jun 27 16:19:55 CEST 2006

1) Not sure I see the purpose in having a .matrixSomething that returns
what .matrixLocal is returning now, if what it's returning now is
wrong...

2) I assume .matrixParent returns the matrix of the parent?

-----Original Message-----
From: bf-python-bounces at projects.blender.org
[mailto:bf-python-bounces at projects.blender.org] On Behalf Of Willian
Padovani Germano
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:16 AM
To: Blender Foundation Python list
Subject: [Bf-python] object's local matrix

Hi all,

Was helping a user that posted a msg to blender.org's Python forum
complaining that ob.matrixLocal was not returning what he expected.
After a little testing and research I came to this (well known thread,
but I hadn't seen its last msgs):

http://www.blender3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4566&highlight=parent+inv
erse+matrix&sid=a957bcac39d260b01f29acfd4b255e61

In short, for those that as me until yesterday might not be aware: what
we return as the local matrix is not what users expect, it's not an
object's position in relation to its parent.

Currently scripters can use

ob.parent.getInverseMatrix() * ob.matrixWorld

to get the proper local matrix, as theeth points in that thread. But
it's confusing to have .matrixLocal the way it is.

What do we do?

1) Change .matrixLocal to what it should be and possibly add another
attribute .matrixSomething to return what .matrixLocal currently
returns.

2) Add a new .matrixParent attribute with the proper local matrix as
users expect.

Strong opinions anyone?

--
Willian