[Bf-python] removing scripts...

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Jul 26 08:37:53 CEST 2006

Your Right- Exact knifing is needed sometimes, perhaps we need some way
to do this with the built in knife tool.

But just because a functionality isnt available in Blender's internals
does not mean we should have a script bundled with it.

Since I wrote most of the scripts your saying should be removes,
Defenses of scripts areinline ;)

jmsoler at free.fr wrote:
> knife.py : As the plan can be located like an object,
> this script is often used  to have a very precise cut .
> You can not do that with the internal knife .
>
> As I say to you last sunday : what about scripts
> that do not work at all ? in Animation : Armature symmetry,
> for instance ?
>
> What about all these :
>
> 1/ "UV : find path image target" , really not useful since there is system tools
> for that, such a script is ridiculous in a 3D soft .

You mis-understand the purpose of this script.
Take a project with 200+ images, and put it in another computer, now
when you switch into textured view, take not of all the pink faces.
select each one, in the image view goto "Image, Replace" and point to
the new path... until all faces  are not pink... repeate. 200 times..

Packing/Unpacking isnt always an option because it makes for massive
blend files and it truncates long names.

Save and go back to another computer, then go and do it all again.

This script saves all the messing around, point it to a dir and it will
link all the images back up- I could not have worked with others on
projects without this functionality.

However, images are not the only data that might be unlinked, As Intrr
pointed out, sounds and fonts can also-
We should probably make this a built in function.

> 2/ "the script relax selected uv"  gives  ugly shapes when all the vertex are
> selected and  never stop ...

It stops when you left click, this is printed in the progress bar. in
some situations it works well, other times it dosent. Since its doesent
always work well, it should be fixed or removed.

> 3/ Mesh :  "Triangle 2 quads" there is already a tool for that (mode edit alt-j)

This tool needs improving, Blenders dosent support delimiting UV's or
vertex colors, it also dosent work well when operating on an entire
mesh. - This was made with tri2quad.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~cpbarton/ideasman/tri2quad.png

> 4/ Mesh : "Polyreducer" , there is already a tool for that tool (modifier :
> decimate )

Blenders dosent support all geometry, UV's vertex colors, materials, or
vertex weights.
See the docs and pics
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartXIII/Modelling_Scripts#Poly_Reducer
> 5/ Mesh :  script mirror location, one more, there is also a tool for that .

This mirrors weights as well, you can also choose limits and L>R or R>L
as well as name flipping and group creation. Just because others exist
isnt reasion enough not to write a more feature full one.
> 6/ Mesh :  clean Mesh, very obscur use . Very very short documentation .

Disagree- people have requested this- I Have needed it, it removes all
sorts of lint from the mesh, zero area faces etc that are not needed.
materuials that arnt beinbg used.
> 7/ Object&Mesh : bone weight, 2 scripts with the same name ?

Have to look into that one, perhaps you have both and shouldent.
> 8/ Object : uvcopy  ? very limited use (object to 'exactly' the same object ,
> but why not), with a curious location  why "Object" ? It should be in UV . very
> very short documentation .

I didnt write this one. it would be better if it did a locational
lookup. with an option for index:index   - for those who  know there
meshes are index aligned.

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street