[Bf-python] NLA addition needs thoughts

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Thu Aug 31 15:11:38 CEST 2006

Right now, the NLA API for stride bone uses the GUI convention of
dealing with strings. In the NLA n-key panel, you type the name of
the bone you want in the StrideBone field, and Blender links it up
for you behind the scenes. The PyAPI seems to have been written to
mirror the user's GUI experience.

I was adding get/setters for group targets in NLA strips (used to
target specific armatures with dupligroups with NLA, and are
essential for animating instanced groups seperately), and my original
code had used the same methodology: strings, like the GUI. It was
pointed out on irc that perhaps just passing and retrieving the
actual object it was linking to instead of its name would make more
sense.

My thought is that where possible, the PyAPI should mirror the user
experience, unless the user experience is hacky. In an ideal
application, the user would be able to set the stride bone via a drop-
down menu with all valid bone possibilities, and to set the
groupTarget via a drop-down with available, valid armatures.

Maybe we should go back and change the StrideBone API to accept and
return bone objects, as opposed to strings, and I'll make the
groupTarget API follow suite. (If you're worried about backwards
compatibility with the StrideBone API, I'm willing to bet cash that
the number of users getting and setting stride bone in python right
now == 0).

Thoughts?

Roland Hess
harkyman