[Bf-python] BPyC repository revisited

levischooley levischooley at eaglecom.net
Wed Aug 30 21:51:40 CEST 2006

Wow. Has it really been over a year?
Perhaps some of you remember an e-mail from me back in July of 2005:
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-python/2005-July/002895.html
And Willian's reply:
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-python/2005-July/002913.html

Anyway, I took some time this past month to put together a
prototype for a script repository and publish it to the web (with
the result that I am dangerously behind in my college studies
now). Although I doubt I will have much time until November or
December (obviously, with a year's time between concept and
release, I'm in no hurry), I would like to get some of you all's
(thinking primarily of cambo, LetterRip, jms and a few other devs)
feedback on the system.

So, here's the link:
http://www.hhofministries.org/bpyc/index.php

The basic idea is to create an online system that will enable
author's to maintain their own scripts in a central location from
which users can download, update, and maintain their local
scripts. Sort of like a highly-specialized CVS or package manager.

I noticed that some discussion was being passed around about
taking a new look at the scripts included with Blender, and so I
rushed to get this out there so I could bat some ideas around with
you guys.
Some immediate advantages I see (with making a system such as this
"official"):
1. Limited script CVS - A repository takes away the urgency for
authors to have their scripts included with Blender. Hence, you
can include far fewer "official" scripts with the Blender release.
Let's say just the most relevant import/export scripts, a few
important tools, and the package manager script. It would make
maintaining the CVS a bit simpler, I think.
2. Accessibility - If a "script manager" is distributed with
Blender, many, many python scripts that otherwise might not have
been discovered can be accessed immediately by even the newest users.

In its current form, though, I can also see a few problems. One of
the major ones is that it's a bit too accessible: anyone can
upload any script, no matter how broken or dangerous, and everyone
will have immediate access to it. I'm not sure how much of a
problem this will be, but I'm assuming it won't be a very big
problem. If anything _really_ dangerous gets posted, the
repository management personnel can reject it and warn/ban the
poster. A better solution will need to be devised.

Where this is going:
In my mind, I'm viewing the repository as only the beginning to a
revolution in the Blender python world. I will be pushing the
establishment of a "python.blender.org" subdomain; the
establishment of dedicated python forums on that domain (We have
only two main forums currently: The blender.org python development
forum, and the blenderartists.org forum. The blender.org forum is
dead or dying, and the blenderartists.org forum needs to
subdivided) to discuss development, script creation, and
instruction/documentation (a forum for each); and an integrated
CMS or wiki for the publishment of standards, tutorials, and
documentation.

Some additional features I would like to add to the repository:
1. More script metadata - The amount of information associated
with each script and script version is pretty sparse. I would like
to see more of it created and utilized in the system for
searching, sorting, and statistical information. Script ratings
are one example.

2. Interdependencies/common library support - I would like to see
the promotion of generic libraries that other scripts could use.
This would involve resolving interdependencies and storing the
required data for each dependency.

3. CVS/bug tracker type functionality - I'm not sure how far to go
with this, since we already have all that script writers really
need at projects.blender.org. But still, I think it would be nice
to provide some basic versioning control functionality and the
ability for users to submit feedback/bugs in a public fashion to
the script authors.

4. Search functionality! - This is a must. People have to be able
to find what they're looking for. Unfortunately, a robust search
function was outside the scope of my prototype.

5. A better script manager - I only have a few strengths, and I
know python isn't one of them (although I have a lot of fun
pretending that it is). I would like to see the development of a
robust, highly useful script manager created as a local python
script within Blender. Some features I would like to see created
are the ability to search and browse through the scripts in a
manner just as (or more) efficient as/than that used on the web,
the ability to maintain multiple versions of a single script, and
fail-safe management of local scripts and their files.

6. Open development - I'm not sure how far to go with the term
"open," but I need help with the development of the web system.
I'm just going to take my time and play it by ear with this one.

So. What do you all think?
After getting some initial feedback from you guys, I think I'll
present this to the blenderartists.org forum and see what kind of
response I get.

Thanks for you time.
Levi Schooley