[Bf-python] short term goals

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Jul 15 06:40:07 CEST 2005

Hi Ken,

I guess we should discuss better something like this, since it's
bigger.  I like the newer getset method, too, btw.  There are other
things we can do to improve the API, like more standardization and maybe
replacing string args for constant dicts.  It would be better to discuss
among us and come up with a plan to, if possible, change things at once,
also consulting BPython users at our mailing lists and forums, which
takes time.

Blender Python has a history of rewrites, bugs and inconsistencies since
it was introduced long before we came in, the community was quite tired
of API changes.  Besides, there are many scripts out there and bundled
with Blender.  It'll be good to integrate a general API overhaul with
new facilities for scripts, like a general repository -- where we can
include only those updated to follow very basic guidelines
(cross-platform, good GUI, bug free, etc.).

Opinions?

Ken Hughes wrote:

> Stephen Swaney wrote:
>
>> * Use of getset table for attribute access.
>>
>> Replaces search thru list of attribute names by a table lookup.
>> Provides consistent access to members, speeds up method calls,
>> attrs show up automagically with dir().
>

> I'm going to riding around the US on trains a lot over the next
> three weeks and this seems like something that could be done
> off-line (it's pretty repetitious grunt-work, doesn't really
> require network access for questions, etc).  I've also looked
> over the code you and sapir added for curves and mtex and have
> put some in the IPO stuff.
>
> Permission/clearance to tackle some (if not all) of this?
>
> Should I also replace methods with attributes while I'm
> at it, and add deprecation warnings?
>
> Ken

Willian