[Bf-python] Python script code crashes Blender 2.36 && CVS/HEAD (Linux; self-compiled gcc (GCC) 3.3.4)

Melchior FRANZ mfranz at aon.at
Sun Feb 13 00:42:31 CET 2005

I just managed to crash Blender with my newest script creation (attached; 1.3kB).
It's a stripped down version of something more useful.

To reproduce, do this:

  - start blender
  - switch to "Scripts Window"
  - start script Export/"AAAAAA: Blender Crasher"/"First Step"
    fomr the "Scripts Window" menu
  - from Blender's *main* menu select the same script, but from the
    pop-up menu "Second Step"  --> the file selector appears
  - in the file selector click the OK button, labeled "Third Step"

Blender crashes! I get this backtrace but can't make much sense of it. I have
symbols compiled-in in Blender, but this seems to  be in the Python lib or something:

  [Switching to Thread 1087225728 (LWP 16720)]
  0x0847e5b5 in PyObject_Hash ()
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0x0847e5b5 in PyObject_Hash ()
  #1  0x0848926d in tuplehash ()
  #2  0x0847e5e7 in PyObject_Hash ()
  #3  0x0847ad5a in PyDict_GetItem ()
  #4  0x084a8c16 in eval_frame ()
  #5  0x084ad39e in PyEval_EvalCodeEx ()
  #6  0x0846d95a in function_call ()
  #7  0x084619d7 in PyObject_Call ()
  #8  0x084624c8 in PyObject_CallFunction ()
  #9  0x08440670 in getSelectedFile ()
  #10 0x081237b6 in filesel_execute ()
  #11 0x08124499 in winqreadfilespace ()
  #12 0x0817d6bf in scrarea_do_winhandle ()
  #13 0x08119a5d in screenmain ()
  #14 0x080e8943 in main ()
  (gdb) list
  1       <<C++-namespaces>>: No such file or directory.
          in <<C++-namespaces>

If I comment out line 55 then Blender doesn't crash, but respond with this error
message, which doesn't make the least sense to me:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<string>", line 30, in gui
    File "<string>", line 61, in dofile
  NameError: global name 'Error' is not defined

Not defined? It's globally defined a few lines further up! Anyway, in my
desperation, I added another exception class in "dofile()". It's commented
out, now.

What's wrong? Do gui callbacks run in a different context, with global exceptions
unknown? And does raising an exception from a gui callback crash Blender?

m.