[Bf-python] Re: Python 2.4

Joseph Gilbert models at paposo.com
Sat Aug 13 20:28:12 CEST 2005

Apparently you will have difficulty on a mac running anything it doesnt
ship with it. Even though on osx10.2 you can't install python2.4, you
can on 10.3 - yet your saying that if you install python 2.4 on 10.3 and
apple comes out with an offical upgrade it will interfere with your
install. Sort of a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario.
Therefore the only acceptable blender python release for osx should be
what apple currently ships with then.

However, the real _real_ question to ask is do we want windows and linux
to follow the currently supported osx release of python? :p osx tiger
just shipped with python 2.3.5 and 10.5 has a release date of sometime
near the end of 2006. Therefore (assuming 10.5 comes with python 2.4 and
it takes 6-9 months to come out with a patch for tiger) we should be
safe to upgrade blender python sometime near the middle 2006. Howver by
that time python 2.5 or 2.6 will be released and we'll continue to have
the same discussion in the future. So this problem is simply not going
away as long as blender supports osx.

It might be techincally possible to get blender to run mulitiple
interpreter verions or search muliple install paths for the
//site-packages directory which may or may not overcome apple's python
handicaps. The real issue is where blender python is looking for an
install path to get the user-installed modules from /libs/site-packages.
Apple will run what python version we embed in the problem. Another
(great) option is that  2.3 compatible scripts would be the only ones
offically bundled with blender as willian suggests.