[Bf-python] scripting comparison and portability

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 07:25:23 CEST 2005

Hi Toni,

> iirc someone who had been using Maya before commented that Blender is better to program  because Python is nicer than MEL, in some session at

I'm not talking about which language bindings (Ie Python, JavaScript,
Perl, or custom scripting languages such as MEL or ZBrushes), but what
the API offers in terms of functionality.

For instance there really isn't a blender equivalent of the ZBrush strokes.

(I found a bit of information on parsing the zbrush canvas stroke strings -

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=728
)

Another interesting bit was there method of establishing parent child
relationships and using timestamp info for conncurrently created
zspheres and their interface for accessing child spheres. (which would
be useful for accessing bones in blender...)

> btw: what do you mean with portability? having same tools work in many
> apps? i guess that's basically possible at least for simple things.. if
> there's be some abstraction layer, but dunno if it'd be feasible really
> for usefull things (am looking forward to be proven wrong by existing
> implementations ;)

Portability in terms of what the API exposes to usage by the
programmer, what sort of common utility functions are exposed, what
sort of variables are exposed for manipulation, etc.

LetterRip