[Bf-python] Re:Python 2.4

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Aug 3 20:01:51 CEST 2005

Ed Blake wrote:

>I think for most users the switch to Python 2.4 would be a non-event.  For
>The version dependence of the libraries is probably also the reason OSX

right.

>people can't easily upgrade.  Especially if their os uses python for anything
>important.  As stated before though, on every other os you can fairly easily
>install multiple versions side by side.

it is generally not a good idea in osx to touch anything that is
pre-installed by Apple. then again i don't know anything that the os
itself is using python for, but there might be something (i haven't even
seen 10.4)

there is no problem in installing python2.4 somewhere else, like
/usr/local or like Fink (the debian port) does by default to /sw (and
darwinports which is the bsd port system uses /opt by default)

so perhaps the only nuisance is possibly having to maintain two
versions, and then doing the PYTHONPATH trick (and i guess we can make
Blender check possible places, like the ones mentioned above (i.e.
defaults for compiling itself or installing from Fink or Darwinports).

>versions for 2.4.  The only major exception I know of is Pygame which seems
>to be unmaintained at the moment.

there are people making a new release (1.7.1 iirc) now btw. the original
developer is mostly busy with other things but others seem to have taken
up ok.. and there have been unofficial windows pygame builds for 2.4 at
least 6months now i think, occasionally linked from the mailing list.

~Toni