[Bf-python] Blender, Python, and Irix

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Nov 11 19:19:32 CET 2004

Chris Want wrote:

> No, if there is no scriptlink, blender starts fine.
> Ton had me do an interesting test where I started blender
> fresh and I pressed 'New' in the scriptlink window.
> When I pressed the up arrow key blender crashed.
> Many blends crash on load, such as camera.blend
> and lostride.blend.

Ah, Ton wrote about that crash.  An ID pointer was not being checked.  I
couldn't reproduce the crash on linux, but put a check there in
BPY_do_pyscript ("if (!id) return;").  Ton said the problem didn't
happen in 2.34, only cvs, but that the added check fixed the problem.

> The turning point seems to be the switch to python 2.3, i.e.,
> blender 2.33 and blender 2.34 have been mostly unusable.

These have had changes in scriptlinks code, I'll go over them seeing if
I can find something.  It would be good indeed to have a better idea,
like if any scriptlink can cause the crash or not.  Maybe a simple
"print 'hi'" to start, tried as redraw and frame changed scriptlink.

One thing in special that changed was that onload script links, which
did not work, work (or should) in 2.34.

Another thing you can try, for .blends that do not crash on startup, is
uncommenting the two lines: BPY_end_python(); and BPY_start_python(); in
BPY_do_pyscript(), file BPY_interface.c.

Python itself has trouble (there are compile warnings) related to
Py_True and Py_False, that are also used with scriptlinks.  We'd better
discuss if we shouldn't finish (Michel took some away) removing them
from bpython in favor of 1 for true and 0 for false.

--
Willian