[Bf-python] Bundled scripts that use python extensions?

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 1 02:48:35 CET 2004

Jonathan Merritt wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am currently working on a script that might be a good candidate for
> a bundled script: camera calibration.  This is sometimes called
> "camera matching" in a VFX context.  The idea is that by matching up
> points in an image taken by a real camera to locations of virtual
> points in 3D space, the camera position and orientation and its
> internal parameters ("Lens", in the case of Blender), can be
> determined.  The virtual camera can be placed at the same relative
> spot in the virtual scene as the real camera occupied when the image
> was taken.  This is extremely useful for accurate Blendering on
> photos, image-based-modeling, etc.
>
> The particular algorithm I'm using for camera calibration was
> developed by a guy called Roger Tsai and is quite complicated.  It
> first involves using a linear process to approximate the set of camera
> parameters, followed by a non-linear optimization by minimizing the
> sum of squared errors of the calibration points in image space.  Put
> simply, it would be *hell* to code in raw Python, and not exactly
> straightforward even with the current Python numerical libraries that
> are available.
>
> Fortunately, a C implementation is already available here:
>    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/rgw/www/TsaiCode.html
> I have substantially modified the code from that website to create a
> Python extension module (which wasn't so straightforward... try doing
> a "grep -R exit *" and feel my pain... :-)  I am currently tidying up
> this module prior to release, and adding in some decent test functions.
>
> I'm just wondering what the policy will be for bundled scripts that
> require Python extension modules?  How will this work in a general case?

In this case, due to the coolness of what you are doing I suspect that
within a month of you posting your script you may find it hardcoded into
Blender, :).  Hm.  Ooh!  An idea!  Since bundled scripts are "bundled"
their associated C modules could be built at blender-compile-time!  So,
Willian, what do you think?