[Bf-python] External scripts

Stephen Swaney sswaney at swbell.net
Thu May 27 17:47:25 CEST 2004

Carlos López wrote:

> woppp... so sad. Ok, thank you. We'll wait for the Michel's
> Blender2.5-roadmap implementation... :D

This has nothing to do with the modularity of blender and
everything to do with how we implemented blender python
scripting.

The bpy modules consist of python extension types that create
thin wrappers around blender's data structures and functions.
(Note that these extensions are types and not classes, although
the difference between the two is fading in python.)  This was
the easiest and quickest way to get access to blender functionality
with python scripting.

Because they are wrappers, bpy will not run without blender.
You can run blender at the command line and execute a bpy
script, we can even provide a bpy command line prompt from
inside blender, but doing anything more is somewhere between
difficult and impossible with the current bpy architecture.

However, blender3 is another story.  There is already a
secret underground movement to implement blender as python
extensions.  At that point, the blender/python integration
will be seamless.  Soon we will rule the world! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at swbell.net