[Bf-python] Object Properties from Python?

Thomas A Dyar tdyar at MIT.EDU
Wed May 26 21:08:56 CEST 2004

Quoting "Gilbert, Joseph" <jgilbert at tigr.org>:

> As I remember the idea was about integrating which seems to be a no-no.
> However should we create a separate module for logic bricks in the
> regular python API? I remember the patch for accessing object
> properties. I think this could be taken further though if that is what
> we would like to do. (Such as a wrapper for the property.c file, etc.)
> Ideas?

The property system could be useful for exporters, but my code should be
extended to "set" as well as "get" property values, and also physics
properties. Shouldn't be that much work, and I think there should be a module
for it.

OTOH, if you are just using the properties to store "meta" info about objects,
then you should be able to do the same thing by making a python GUI and storing
the key/value pairs in a pickled dictionary or even in a specially-named Text
window so the info is always saved inside the .blend.

> Is the gameengine going to be removed? Didn't know about that.

This was Ton's inclination (as of a few months ago), after we get a fully
2.25-compatible engine. I haven't heard about it for awhile, though. The
benefits would be that we could develop an entirely new GUI for a game editor,
and perhaps add in other rendering tech available only on some platforms for
some video cards. This was some of the rationale I heard...

Tom