[Bf-python] is Blender the enviroment for a home designer 3d cad application?

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Thu Jul 29 12:18:58 CEST 2004

hi, Blender can do this (IMHO)

Blender can do the things you want

Enrico Neri wrote:

>Dear all,
>I have to develop for a Customer of mine an application that:
>
>-- shows a wizard in which user chooses elements

You'd need to have a blend file that runs a script on startup, the
script would be the wizard.

>-- does some calculation (like shortening some bars if You choose some
>round curve, counting the number of bars if your patio is 5 meters, etc)

The calculations are basic 3d geometry, if your familear with it it
shouldent be too hard.

>-- gives a 2d render of the image (showing the lines , bars and so on as
>from choices). 3d is welcomed but not necessary

2d/3d image could be set in your viewport and saved in the blend file.

>-- does at the end the export in .mdb of all necessary elements (the
>latter is not necessary feature)

Youll need to write an exporter in python, there not that hard to do,
but it depends a lot on the format your writing to.

>in some way it's like   http://www.bighammer.com/fencebot.asp?sm=ds.fd
>or the  http://www.cad-quest.com/products/fence/default.aspx?sm=pf  that
>anyway are BIG brother compare to what we need.
>

>It's going to be sold via download or cd.
>
>1
>is Blender an environment for this kind of application (little
>rendering, more calculation)?

Blender will be fine for rendering etc. you can set it up so the whole
interface, lights, materials etc are set for nice rendering.

>[ I'm speaking TECHNICALLY,if YES I'll proceed with NAN to get licence
>and trying to solve LICENSE issues]

Your not modifying Blender, your just selling a CD with Blender, the
user is paying your your plugin, your plugin would not be GPL Im
guessing :).

>2
>is !=1, any suggestions? do You suggest any other environment?

The only issue is that Im guessing your not going to code it? (since
your asking these questions)
Id ask sombody on this list if there interested in subcontracting.

>3
>do You know anyone who has developed some like that and can license the
>sourcecode?

Not realy, tho checkout MakeHumen, might have some similar aspects.

Good luck- Cam.