[Bf-python] blender/gimp/astronomy-programs

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Dec 29 08:57:28 CET 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Chris Want wrote:
> Gottfried Zojer wrote:
> > I m new to blender in some aspect.Is there anybody working on a integration
> > of blender and gimp to use it it also for scientific visualizations like
> I don't think anybody is really formally working on
> integrating blender and gimp.

i guess that's the case, although i think the Verse people have
demonstrated using their protocol to connect live Gimp and Blender .. not
for scientific visualizations or astronomy, but 'just' working on textures
.. someone was figuring that python would be the way to build the bridge
there too

> In theory, blender's python engine could also be
> used to interface VTK directly through it's python

yep - i guess in practice too, if it's a normal Python lib/modules
(basically they all should work in bpython too)

quite nice, the image you showed -- thanks for sharing it & info

> wrappers. I use gimp-perl to post-process the output
> frames, adding annotations, tiling orthographic views,
> compositing, etc. I wrote some scripts a while ago that
> were supposed to show off some of gimp-perl's post-
> processing capabilities, but they are a bit out of date
> http://www.ualberta.ca/~cwant/gimp/postprocess.html

btw, the same functionality is exposed also to gimp-python, right?
not that Perl wouldn't seem to fill the purpose.

.. hm .. (wondered a little about gimp & blender scripts interacting)

> I hope this helps,
> Chris

~Toni