[Bf-python] Draw.RegisterEvent proposal

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Wed Aug 4 03:01:37 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "joeedh" <joeeagar at prodigy.net>
To: <bf-python at blender.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Bf-python] Draw.RegisterEvent proposal

> The main event loop?  I was just thinking of using a system similar to
> the scriptlinks.   I don't actually know very much about how bpython
> works, but when I was working on the OnSave scriptlink it was only a
> simple matter of calling the event raiser whenever an event occured.

Draw.Register and scriptlinks work a little differently, but it's all
callbacks.  As I said, scriptlinks are well integrated in these parts
already, they were meant for that.

The main event loop checks for all input, sends to specific parts of the
code (selection, for example) where a callback to selection, if needed,
would be called.  Those parts are integrated and always about to get a
rewrite, that's another reason to discuss this also at the bf-committers
list.

> >  There people not necessarily know about Draw.Register, etc. so the
>proposal should be more general, about the functionality itself and >what
it could be good for.

> This is a bpython matter *specific* to people who develop scripts with
GUIs.  No offense, but. . .how can it be more general?

Not offended at all : ).  I mean from a Blender developer (not only script
developer) point of view.  There's been discussions about more precise
control for cad-like use, etc. and adding new hooks to events in Blender can
benefit this and other applications.  By more general I mean: here we
discuss implementation of the python/c side: Draw.Register, etc. directly,
but there the discussion is centered in Blender itself: add script hooks to
selection?  Why? Where else?  How could the program benefit from this or
that, what would become possible?  Things like that.  Coders and users there
can give useful suggestions, maybe someone mentions related things they have
in mind / are working on / saw in another program.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br