[Bf-python] Important: Python23.zip for Blender 2.33

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Tue Apr 27 21:27:40 CEST 2004

Hi, there is a question (**) below

I've tested including a package of non-builtin modules with Blender itself, so
that most scripts don't require full Python installs.  With two extra files put
at Blender's exe dir, zlib.pyd and Python23.zip, currently weighting less than
70k zipped, we have these modules available under win:

These are builtin in the exe:

('__builtin__', '__main__', '_codecs', '_hotshot', '_locale', '_random',
'_weakref', 'array', 'audioop', 'binascii', 'cPickle', 'cStringIO', 'cmath',
'errno', 'exceptions', 'gc', 'imageop', 'imp', 'itertools', 'marshal', 'math',
'md5', 'msvcrt', 'nt', 'operator', 'pcre', 'regex', 'rgbimg', 'rotor', 'sha',
'signal', 'strop', 'struct', 'sys', 'thread', 'time', 'xreadlines', 'xxsubtype',
'zipimport')

These I added to the Python23.zip test file:

os, ntpath, chunk, copy, copy_reg, gzip, random, repr, stat, string, StringIO,
types, UserDict, whrandom.  Plus the zlib.pyd dll, which must not be in the zip
file, because it's needed to open it, of course.

The list includes useful modules and those imported by them.

(**) Are there other modules that should be included in this list?

Keep in mind that there is a compromise between size and number of modules
included, of course.  The idea is not to cover everything possible, some complex
scripts might still require full Python installs + extensions.  Or their authors
may provide themselves the extra module(s) not available in Blender, if it's not
a popular / small enough module to justify being in our package.

But don't let this stop your suggestions, this is open for discussions.

First we're doing Windows, then will see what to do about other platforms, since
there are peculiarities in each of them.  We'll need a clear cross-platform list
of modules that Blender alone will have.

Naturally, we can update the package later with more modules, when necessary.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br