[Bf-python] Curve API

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Sep 18 05:34:26 CEST 2003

From: "Stephen Swaney" <sswaney at swbell.net>
(...)
> Comments are welcome.
>
> First some terminology:

Thanks for the info, I haven't seen much about this.

> Blender does not seem to mind if a Curve contains
> both nurb and bezier splines.  ( this seems weird,
> but is probably due to the historical Dutch tradition
> of open mindedness. )

When you get a small number of doubts like this one, I suggest you email Ton
or drop by #blendercoders, just to confirm you're going the right way.

(...)
>   isNurb( int spline_num )

As I told you, I guess the better approach may be to create internal Nurb
and Bezier pytypes, like Bone is to Armature and NMFace, NMVert, NMCol are
to NMesh.  It's not more complicate and has advantages, unless you see that
it wouldn't be the right choice here, for some reason I don't know.

> If we are going to have an isNurb() method, should we have
> an isBezier() method for symmetry?  Are there other types
> of Curves we shoud support?

3d font is a curve, I guess.

> Curves vs Surfaces:
(...)
> Because of these differences, I would argue for creating separate
> Surface and Curve modules.

That's a good argument.  But probably it's better to wait.  When you finish
your additions/changes to Curve, you'll have a better understanding of this.
If you keep things modular from start, it won't be difficult to either add
support in Curve or split to a Surface module later.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br