[Bf-python] Vertex Influence for no-armatured objs

models at paposo.com models at paposo.com
Mon Sep 8 06:58:08 CEST 2003

> I'm not sure I understand the solution being proposed here.

Sorry I'm not always clear when i have too much caffine. @ @ Heres my point:
Many of the modules in blender represent 'datablocks'. These really are
representations of methods and variables of structures that are just blocks
of data. Then comes the object module. By linking a datablock to an object
you get a 'realworld' representation of the datablock. Something that can be
seen and felt in the 3d world. object module should really only be for
generic object manipulation.  I AGREE!!completely.

My problem is that there are a number of functions that deal with
type-specific objects.  Vertex groups are just 1 example. By this I mean
that there are functions in blender which deal with an object only in the
context of a specific datablock type. In this case vertex groups don't
pertain to nmesh because you can't add non-existant groups to the mesh data,
but don't want them to be in object because object is for generic object
manipulation.

A good solution would be to subclass the object module into type-specifc
objects.  They would all inherit the methods from the parent generic python
object but would have methods and variables specific to the datablock linked
object. Right now all modules are inside of Blender but you could subclass
Object into meshObject, latticeObject, armatureObject, etc. The subclasses
of Object would inherit the methods/vars of the parent module.

This would also have application to the emesh module as editing a mesh
object is one of several type-specific object things that can be done with
an object linked to mesh data.