[Bf-python] Vertex Influence for no-armatured objs

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Mon Sep 8 06:44:57 CEST 2003

From: "Stephen Swaney" <sswaney at swbell.net>
(...)
> The problem here is where to put some mesh specific data, namely vertex
> groups.  As someone ( Willian? ) mentioned, we can't stick it in the
> Mesh DataBlock because that can be shared between multiple Object
> instances.

Yes, it was me.  And this is the key point: it belongs to the object, a same
mesh can in theory (anyone tried this?) have different vgroups for each
object it is linked to.

So or we put Joseph's methods in Object, or we use EMesh, that would have
two Get functions:

# get the current emesh, none if not in editmode:
EMesh.Get()

# enters editmode (if already in it, this is like .Get()) with the emesh
# from the chosen object of type 'Mesh':
EMesh.GetFromObject()

This way we'll undoubtedly update the right object (just like NMesh, some
operations, vgroup ones included, require that the user first .update() 's
the emesh, case anything was changed).

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br