[Bf-python] Vertex Influence for no-armatured objs

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Mon Sep 1 00:34:18 CEST 2003

Hi, Joseph

From: "Gilbert, Joseph" <jgilbert at tigr.org>

> Im done with my little vertex group project... feel free to check it out.
If
> you guys like it let me know! It may not be the best place for it (in the
> object module) but it works! (and that's the important part :)

Sure.  And from today's irc meeting we'll have a lot of work, so it's really
better to apply your patch once it's ready and tested.  Let's wait for
Michel to check it, since he wrote/maintains the Object module.

One comment:

- It's better to also have object.removeVertexGroup('Group1') instead (or
besides if you prefer) object.addVertexGroup('Group1', 0).  Python is such a
readable language, we should preserve that.  So, could you write that one,
too?

** So to make sure: my vote is to accept your patch to the Object module,
only asking you to provide that minor addition (I'll add it myself if you
don't ; ) ...)

> Lol. Blender is pretty cool stuff. I got all excited when I compiled it
for
> the first time :p. ;P :p

Me too ... now I get mad when it doesn't compile for unknown reasons.  And
segfaults! I take it personal when Blender segfaults! : )

(about EMesh)
> Great idea. Because it looks like there are really 3 'sets' of vertices
for
> a mesh.
yes, not counting the renderverts ...

> The EMesh module will be a great way of accessing functions that rely on
> edit verts/face/vlaks ect, whereas m/d verts would be in a mesh module.

and from what I saw yesterday, the way things were done, it should be easy
to have operations like extrusion, etc. through scripting.

Only problem is that possibly there won't be time for EMesh before 2.29's
release, since 2.29 may come out as soon as we finish the better integration
of python through menus.

> --------------
> I guess my only concern is that the python script gives the wrong
impresion
> about the architecture of the program.

Yes, it's confusing for people used to OOP.  The previous developer(s)
wanted an interface that looked OOP -- and in fact they've done a good work
with the API.

(...)
> The mesh python module really only
> represents the datablock of an object.

Not only mesh, it happens with all other object data: cameras, lamps, etc.
We can help by explaining this in the basic documentation. BTW, I'm writing
a tutorial meant as a companion for the reference doc.  Later with help from
bpython developers and users, both docs can become good enough ...  we
should also have a faq, of course.

(...)
>This could be hidden by
> just creating and linking a default object once a new mesh is created
> without an object name parameter... Anyway just some thoughts.

This happens when you use nmesh.PutRaw(): if no object is found, one is
created.

So are we five bpython developers now (sorry if I'm missing someone!) ? : ).

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br